There are many different ways to roll a joint. You can opt for a pre-formed cone that can easily be packed with cannabis, or roll your own by hand.
To roll your own by hand, you will need a pack of joint papers, a slender object with a small flat end (like a pen), and a lighter. A grinder and joint tips (or crutches) are optional but helpful.
1. Decide how much flower to intake. Most people start with 1/4 or 1/2 of a gram for a small single joint.
2. Grind the flower until it is evenly broken down but not too finely ground. Tip: If it is too finely ground, the flower can fall through the tip when inhaling and end up in your mouth.
3. (Optional) Make a filter. Many joint papers come with cardboard-like material ready to be folded, however, a tip can be made from many different materials like glass, cardboard, or ceramic. Once your tip is ready, place it on the right or left edge of the joint paper with the glue side up and facing you.
4. Pack the ground-up flower into the paper. Pinch your fingers together and slowly roll them back and forth to shape the cannabis into a cone shape. Tip: Pack slightly lighter at the bottom and denser towards the top for airflow without clogging.
5. Tuck the unglued side of the paper between the crutch and glued side, roll it up. Tack the glued side of the paper down at the crutch using a small bit of moisture, then make your way down the seam tucking and sealing until you reach the tip.
5. Finish off by lightly packing down the flower with a slender flat object (like the end of a pen) through the open end. Twist or fold any excess paper to seal it off.
6. Light the folded or twisted end with a lighter, inhale, and enjoy!